Independent Publisher v1.8 was released on May 29th, 2017. This release includes 7 bug fixes, 9 enhancements, a new Armenian translation, an update to the Italian translation, and several other smaller changes.
There have been 53 commits by 6 contributors since v1.7 was released 1 year ago. That brings the total number to 24 contributors since this project started in 2013, which just so happens to be the same year that my daughter, featured in these release posts, was born. 🙂
Enhancement: Post Thumbnails for Excerpts
This release includes a new option that allows you to show the Post Thumbnail (i.e., the Featured Image for a post) right above the Post Excerpt on the Home Page and other Archive pages. An example is shown below, with Post Excerpts and the Generate One-Sentence Excerpts option enabled.
Full Changelog for v1.8:
- Bug Fix: Fixed bug where Microformats 2 support was not being loaded during theme setup. Props @Ruxton. See Issue #231.
- Bug Fix: Fixed CSS padding for WP-PageNavi integration that was breaking in Firefox. Props @johlym and @vskjefst. See Issue #229.
- Bug Fix: Removed an extra space after the opening parenthesis in the pagination page count on Archive Views, e.g., “( this is page 1 of 2)”. Props @vskjefst and @jimmymansaray. See Issue #263.
- Bug Fix: Fixed a bug where an empty parenthesis would be displayed when archive views have more than one item, but less than enough items to require pagination. Props @vskjefst and @Furgelnod. See Issue #249.
- Bug Fix: Fixed a bug where leaving a comment with a Site URL that contains a percent sign would generate a PHP Notice indicating “Warning: printf(): Too few arguments”. Props @mritzmann. See Issue #248.
- Bug Fix: Fixed a bug where the
aria-labelattribute in the comment “Reply to” link contained a duplicate copy of the author name, which affected users with screen readers. Props to Alex for reporting. See Issue #252.
- Bug Fix: Fixed a bug when using RTL mode that prevented the Customizer CSS from being applied. See Issue #230.
- Enhancement: Improved compliance with WP coding standards. Props @jeherve. See Issue #232.
- Enhancement: Added additional
if ( ! function_exists() )checks to allow overriding from a Child Theme. Props @jeherve. See Issue #232.
- Enhancement: Moved “Related Tags” to its own function so that it could be easily overwritten with a Child Theme. Props @jeherve. See Issue #233.
- Enhancement: Added a new option to Show Post Thumbnails when displaying excerpts. By default, this option is disabled but if you have excerpts enabled and you want show the Post Thumbnail above the excerpt, you can enable this option in Dashboard → Appearance → Customize → Excerpt Options. See Issue #218.
- Enhancement: Added new option to Show Full Name in Comment Reply-to Link. By default, Independent Publisher only shows the First Name of the commenter in the “Reply to…” link below each comment. This new option lets you always show the Full Name (first name + last name), if available. Props @vskjefst. See Issue #237.
- Enhancement: Improved handling of Customizer default colors. Props @vskjefst. See Issue #240.
- Enhancement: Refactored code that outputs the
title=""attribute for Post Title and Post Thumbnail links. The functions
independent_publisher_post_thumbnail_link_title()can now be easily overridden in a Child Theme. Props @vskjefst. See Issue #241.
- Enhancement: Upgraded Genericons to v3.4.1. Props @vskjefst. See Issue #245.
- Enhancement: Updated the Archive Page Template (
page_archive-template.php) to only show “Most Used Categories” list when there are more than one. Props @FokkeZB. See Issue #255.
- Translations: Updated Italian translation. Props @kOoLiNuS. See this commit.
- Translations: Added Armenian translation. Props @hanumanum. See Issue #265.
- Validation: The Site Title and Site Description now use
div‘s instead of
h2, which should be reserved for the post content. Props @PedroFumero. See Issue #261.
independent_publisher_pings()has been deprecated in favor of
independent_publisher_mentions(), which also supports Webmentions. See this commit
- Removed: Removed Jetpack Sharing enhancements. These enhancements are no longer necessary as the Jetpack sharing output has improved since these were implemented. Any desired changes to the Jetpack Sharing buttons should now be applied on a case-by-case basis using a Child Theme. See this commit.
- New Filter: Added filter for the ‘Webmentions’ title section at the bottom of Single posts. This can now be filtered using
independent_publisher_webmentions_title. Also removed
README.mdas those filters were removed when webmention support was added in v1.7. See this commit.
If you installed the theme from WordPress.org, you should see a notification to update the theme from within your WordPress Dashboard (Dashboard → Updates). Otherwise, you can download v1.8 from WordPress.org.
If you need support, please visit the theme support forum.