Independent Publisher v1.4, and subsequently v1.4.1, has been released. There are several bug fixes and several new features, two of which I’d like to highlight below.
New Feature: Show Updated Date on Single Posts
You can now choose to show the “Updated” date underneath the “Published” date on Single Post pages. When this feature is enabled, the Updated date will only appear if the post has been updated (modified) since it was published.
When enabled, you can disable this functionality on a per-post basis if necessary by adding a Custom Field with the name
independent_publisher_hide_updated_date and any value (
true will do) to the post.
To enable this feature visit Dashboard -> Appearance -> Customize -> General Options -> “Show Updated Date on Single Posts”.
New Feature: Show Page Load Progress Bar
There’s a fancy new progress bar feature that can be enabled (it’s disabled by default). Enabling this feature shows a thin progress bar across the top of the page as it’s loading. The color of the progress bar matches that of your Link Color selection in the Theme Customizer.
To enable this feature visit Dashboard -> Appearance -> Customize -> General Options -> “Show Page Load Progress Bar”.
(Special thanks to Tyler Longren for his work on this feature.)
Here’s the complete changelog for v1.4:
- New Feature: Progress Bar. There is a new “Show Page Load Progress Bar” option in Appearance -> Customize -> General Options. Enabling this shows a thin progress bar across the top of the page while loading. The color of the bar is determined by the Link Color chosen in the Customizer. See Issue #35 (Thanks to Tyler Longren)
- New Feature: The last modified date of a post can now be shown underneath the Published date on Single Post pages. There is a new “Show Updated Date on Single Posts” option in Appearance -> Customize -> General Options. This will only appear when the published date and the modified date are different (i.e., you’ve modified a post).
- Enhancement: Featured Images are now properly linked to the post permalink. (Thanks to Tyler Longren)
- Enhancement: The Primary Navigation menu can now be shown on Single Post pages. There is a new “Show Nav Menu on Single Posts” option in Appearance -> Customize -> General Options. See Issue #82.
- Bug fix: Fixed “dark overlay” bug. This was related to a conflict with Jetpack’s Infinite Scroll module. See Issue #72.
- Fixed “Reply to”, “Published”, and “Updated” strings; they can now be translated
- Updated French translation. (Contributed by Eddy Lelièvre-Berna)
- Fixed inconsistencies with the text-domain for translations. See Issue #75.
- Changed the default value for the Customizer option “Show Post Word Count” from true to false. This does not affect theme upgrades; it only applies to new installations of the theme.
While v1.4 was going through the theme approval process, a theme reviewer suggested that I sanitize the Customizer options and fix the progress bar so that it’s not hidden behind the WordPress Admin Bar when logged in. I fixed these two issues and released v1.4.1:
- Fix hidden progress bar when Admin Bar is loaded
- Santize Customizer settings
If you’ve already installed v1.3.1 from WordPress.org, you should see a notification to update the theme from within your WordPress Dashboard (
Dashboard -> Updates). Otherwise, you can download v1.4.1 from WordPress.org.
I am really digging that you are constantly improving the theme! Keep up the great work, I am sure many users appreciate it.
Thank you! 🙂
Hi just dropping in to say thanks for a great theme, been looking around for a simple theme yet elegant in it’s own way.
You’re most welcome! Thanks for stopping by.